Saturday 7 June 2014

Blue Birthday Bunting


Little Man said to me last week "Mummy. I thought you were going to do bunting for every season .... but that's been up since Spring, and it's Summer, so we need a new one". Yes, gorgeous boy, you were absolutely right. As it was also his birthday, I decided to whip up some blue bunting, in honour of the Big Occasion.


And as luck would have it, the latest Simply Crochet magazine had a pattern, and lovely pictures (above), of beautiful blue bunting, designed and blogged by Lucy of Attic24 (thankyou again Lucy for a fab pattern :)
After a quick rummage through my stash I found some gorgeous blue yarns - turquoise, pale blue, smokey blue, and bright blue.


The sun was out, and so was I ... I sat in the garden ...crochet therapy outside. Does it get any better ???


The triangles worked up sooooo quickly.....


All the completed triangles were joined together with a few rows of dc and htr, then it was time to choose some embellishments. Out came the button tin and sewing kit ....


.... and Little Miss' bead tub (thankyou lovely girl :) ....


.... why are buttons so addictive ??


Lots of sorting, threading and sewing later ... and ta-dah! Blue Birthday Bunting :)





Quite striking in all its entirety ....


... and in pride of place on the mantlepiece....



.... the colours would not be classed as traditionally summery, however I've decided this will be our Summer Bunting from now on, to be hung each year in honour of Little Man's birthday.


Final note - the eagle eyed among you will notice that the front of the fireplace has 10 triangles, but the finished bunting was 12. Yes, well, someone forgot to measure first, didn't they. Tut. And hanging it all on the front made it bunch up and not hang properly so it had to kind of go round the sides. I meant that to happen. Honest.


This bunting has truly been a JOY to work on. Fast, easy, colourful, beads and buttons. Perfect. I've promised to make a few items over the weekend for a friend's charity raffle. Red, white and blue bunting here we come .... and some pink bunting for Little Miss' bedroom ... and army colours for Little Tomboy's bedroom ...... and maybe some for my bike ...... endless possibilities!

20 comments:

  1. Love the beads on the bottom, and camo bunting sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph :) It does sound cool doesn't it, hope it works,...

      Delete
  2. Yes, saying the same thing, the beads in the bottom are a smashing add-on :)
    www.thequietstitcher.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacky, Thanks - I really want to do something else with the beads, it was lots of fun :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you have finished the bunting off with beads.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cally :) As always its hard to know when to stop!

      Delete
  4. How could you be so lucky to have a little boy ask for bunting? Love yours witht eh beads and buttons.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! He really likes it too - I thought he might not be that bothered, but he loves it :)

      Delete
  5. Your bunting looks great and I like the different ways you've photgraphed it. I can never get very much of it in the frame! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, yes, its a challenge! And when it does all fit in it looks tiny!

      Delete
  6. I love it! Your garland is beautiful
    Miss xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bunting is lovely, and I really like that it goes around the edge of the fireplace!! That post that I mentioned will be this Friday by the way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh goody I look forward to Friday then !!!
    The fact that the bunting goes around the side was Totally Deliberate LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jill :), fab bunting, that is on my to do list too.....Great blog, just going to get stuck in from the beginning xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jill I do love your bunting and the beads and buttons make it so special...and ocean colours for summer are perfect :-)
    Tracey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like the perfect afternoon to me! Your bunting turned out great. Buttons are so addictive, I agree! I have a little tub in the shape of a button where I keep all my buttons and I love having a nosy and finding something suitable for the projects I work on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just something lovely about shuffling around the buttons in the tin, they are very tactile, aren't they

      Delete
  12. Fabulous!!! What a big effect it has to add the buttons and beads. Great bunting! I am totally going to have to try this. Lovely post and i am falling in love with your home and garden. Very cozy.
    Birgitta xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love bunting and I love crochet....this is fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for visiting, and for taking the time to leave me a comment :) I really really love getting little messages, I read and value every single one, so thankyou again, and have a great day :)
Jillxxxxx