Wednesday, 30 April 2014

Harrison's Baby Blanket

Time for another crochet post I think :)

Harrison's blanket was the first baby blanket I crocheted, until that point the only blankets I'd finished were small ones for teddies, which were colourful and fun to do, but didn't exactly require much commitment or staying power. I also wasn't blogging at this point so sadly I don't have very many photos of it.

I had seen a blanket crocheted by a friend of a friend, it was beautiful in its simplicity - one single large granny square.

I decided on a colour scheme of white, pale blue and oatmeal. I wanted a pale blue, but not baby baby blue, more a sort of bright pale blue, if that makes sense. The yarn I used was 3 different brands but all were a soft acrylic Baby DK. I wanted this blanket to be used and therefore be practical and easy washable.


The blue was the colour of the first few rounds, a single round in the middle would have been a bit lost or a maybe even a bit hypnotising...!

After that, it was just a case of keep going round and round.


Dolly very kindly offered to model it for me. Aaah, doesn't she look relaxed.


The look I was aiming for was of random order of colours, and random stripe widths. However I found random quite tricky to achieve! I crocheted about 35-40 rows of granny-ness, and then finished off with a scalloped edging, and that was it :)


I love this blanket. Its so unfussy, uncluttered, unencumbered by detail, and just pure and simple. As my first completed baby blanket, I will always remember it with great fondness :)

10 comments:

  1. Great first baby blanket. Simple and very sweet. Love the colour combo. This type of blanket is on my ever growing "to do" list of crochet projects :)

    Birgitta xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birgitta, it was very relaxing to work on, not much counting to do , but I must admit the last few rounds got a bit redious !!
      Jillxx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful baby blanket.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meredith, hope you are doing ok at the moment xxx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous blanket Jill, I love the colours you chose. I'm so with you on the randomness - its hard !
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I had several blues to choose from, who knew there are so many "pale blues" lol
      Jillxo

      Delete
  4. A beautiful baby blanket, soft colours and uncomplicated pattern... lovely. Agree with Kate re the randomness thing .. I wish I was less 'rigid and structured' in my head sometimes, but I am getting better at it ♥
    Have a super weekend
    Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat :) I know what you mean, I cant work out whether random is fun or just annoying, I think I will just look at something random and think "well that's just wrong, the next row shouldve been blue"!
      Jillxo

      Delete
  5. A really lovely blanket. It will be so cosy for a little one. You can't beat granny squares really can you? Simple but perfect.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, grannies are the best!
      Jillxo

      Delete

Thankyou so much for visiting, and for taking the time to leave me a comment :) I really really love getting little messages, I read and value every single one, so thankyou again, and have a great day :)
Jillxxxxx